Fifth Sunday in Ordinary Time to be livestreamed this Saturday 4th Feb at 5:30pm
Parish News, 3rd February 2023:
- This year, Ash Wednesday will be on Feb 22. This marks the beginning of Lent. Watch this space for updates on our Ash Wednesday Masses, Caritas’ Project Compassion, Stations of the Cross, Lenten Groups, etc. Our Parish Lenten Group led by Fr Pawel will start on Thu, 23rd Feb at 6pm in the Church. Parishioners are welcome to form their own groups. Parish resource available: Spirit & Truth, The Power of Christ Revealed, Lenten Companion 2023
- Our deepest sympathies go out to the family and friends of long-time parishioner and faithful servant, Peter McNamara. Peter has been part of our parish for all of his lifetime. He was involved in different ministries and committees of both school and parish. A wonderful and selfless man who has dedicated his time and skills for our parish. Our ’go-to’ person whenever we had something that needs fixing. Peter had met and farewelled a number of priests in our parish. This time around, we would like to send him off with honor and love for his invaluable contributions to our parish. Funeral Mass will be on Thu, 9th Feb, 4:30pm here at St Kevin’s. All are welcome to attend. St Kevin’s school parking will be available from 4pm. Reduced parking available in the college grounds from 4pm. Funeral Mass will be livestreamed, contact the parish office to receive the link.
- We welcome into the family of God, Enzo Agsaulio! Congratulations on your baptism!
- Liturgical Rosters will be updated soon. Contact the parish office for any changes.
- Exposition and Benediction at all Masses this weekend.
- FOSK (Friends of St Kevin’s) will be holding morning tea outside the Church this Sunday, Feb 5. Please join us after the 9:30am Mass. All welcome.
- Children’s Liturgy to recommence this Sunday Feb 5, at the 9:3oam Mass. The Children’s Liturgy is run by parent volunteers during school term. If you wish to help, email: email@example.com . No experience necessary. Resources & support provided.
- This weekend is Catechist Sunday. All catechists are invited to attend the 9:30am Mass on Sunday, 5th February, for the Rite of Commitment and Commissioning.
- St Kevin’s Playgroup will recommence on Wed, 8th Feb, 9:30-11:30am in the Haseler Centre (parish hall). All parents/carers and little ones are welcome to join in the fun! COST: $3 per session or $25 for the term. For more information Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Midweek Men’s Prayer Hour (Gospel Reflection & Prayers) from next week will be moved to Tuesday at 7pm in the Holy Family Chapel. All welcome.
- Next Infant Baptism Information Session will be on Tues 7th Feb at 8pm in the parish office meeting room. Contact the parish office by email if you wish to attend. Thank you.
- Volunteer Church Projector Operator Needed for Saturday VIGIL Mass at 5:30pm & Sunday Mass at 8am. If interested, please contact the parish office at 9874 2533. Training will be provided.
- For parishioners who wish to participate in Holy Communion but prefer to receive low gluten communion hosts, please feel free to see Fr Pawel before Mass starts.
- Altar Flower Donors/Arrangers Needed: If you are interested to help with the altar flowers or donate flowers for weekend Masses, please contact the parish office 9874 2533.
- If you wish to offer a Mass for the sick, deceased, and other occasions, please collect an envelope in the church foyer. Place them in the weekend collection bags or in the secured parish letterbox inside the church (next to the Reconciliation room). Please include the date when you want the Mass to be said, the name of the person who you wish to pray for and tick the box ’For Publication’ if you wish for the name to be included in the parish bulletin.
- Thank you to all the parishioners who are still able to support the parish financially. We are accepting donations by credit card through the parish website. Just click on the SUPPORT US button or copy this link: https://www.bpoint.com.au/payments/eastwoodparish on your browser. For Biller Code, you can choose from:
- Planned Giving/Envelopes (your Planned Giving Number is your Envelope Number)
- 2nd Collection/General Donation
- 1st Collection
- The parish office is open Monday to Friday from 10am-3pm. Alternatively, you can send us an email: email@example.com
Michaelite 100 Year Jubilee Mass & Dinner:
Congratulations to the Congregation of St Michael the Archangel (CSMA) who had their Jubilee Celebration at Holy Spirit Catholic Church North Ryde last Saturday 28th January!
Special thanks to Most Rev Bishop Richard Umbers, Principal Celebrant, and all the Michaelite Priests and parishes involved.
Thank you to Fr Pawel Kopczynski CSMA, Fr Tomasz Lepek CSMA, Deacon Eddie Ho, and all the parishoners from St Kevin’s Eastwood who were able to join the celebration!
Click here to view photos.
Around the Archdiocese:
Aid to the Church in Need:
Aid to the Church in Need is asking for support to aid sisters in Kenya in building a new convent & formation centre for their local community. The diocesan congregation of the “Visitation Daughters of the Immaculate Heart” were established to help those in need. But to continue their mission, they need your help! The sisters’ work includes caring for expectant mothers, counselling, caring for the sick and looking after the elderly & orphans. To make an offering or to learn more visit https://aidtochurch.org/monthlyproject
- Caritas Australia Ukraine Appeal: The escalating violence in Ukraine is rapidly becoming a dire humanitarian crisis. As millions of people are likely to be displaced due to Russia’s invasion, your support is more important than ever for the people of Ukraine. Donate at https://www.caritas.org.au/donate/ukraine-appeal/ or call 1800 024 413 toll free.
- World Youth Day Lisbon 2023! Join us for an adventure of a lifetime! To register your interest visit: https://www.sydneycatholicyouth.org/world-youth-day/
Safeguarding and Child Protection
Guided by the policies of the Catholic Archdiocese of Sydney (CAS), it is mandatory for selected parish volunteers, age 18+, to have a current WWCC. To check the list of parish roles that requires WWCC visit https://www.stkevinseastwood.org.au/becoming-volunteer/ . To apply/renew your WWCC go to: https://ocg.nsw.gov.au/working-children-check/applicant . Once your application has been processed, please forward your WWCC number and Expiry Date to the parish office for verification.
Thank you to all the parish volunteers who have completed the Online Safeguarding Induction Training. To maintain our current safe working environment, it is required that all parish volunteers must complete Safeguarding Induction Training. Training can be completed online, to register click here. Alternatively, the parish is also offering face to face training. To register please call the parish office 9874 2533. To those who have completed the Safeguarding Induction Training in 2018/2019, you are now due for a refresher. To register for a Safeguarding Refresher Training, click here. The archdiocese requires safeguarding refresher training every 3 years.
A MESSAGE FROM THE ARCHDIOCESE OF SYDNEY:
Child sexual abuse is a crime. The appropriate people to deal with crimes are the police. If you or anyone you know have been abused, please contact the police. Alternatively, contact the Safeguarding and Ministerial Integrity Office at (02) 9390 5810 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also want to speak to your Parish Priest who will be able to provide support and guidance. The Archdiocese has a legal obligation to report crimes to the police.
SAFEGUARDING COMMITMENT STATEMENT: The Catholic Archdiocese of Sydney upholds the the dignity and rights of all children and is committed to ensuring their safety. We recognise each child as a gift from God. and we value and encourage participation of children in all activities that enhance their spiritual, physical, emotional, intellectual and social development. To access the Commitment Statement from Catholic Church Leaders, click here.
CLICK HERE TO PROVIDE FEEDBACK AND IDEAS ON SAFEGUARDING PRACTICE.
Welcome to St. Kevin’s Parish, Eastwood
In the spirit of reconciliation the Catholic Parish of St Kevin, Eastwood, acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of country throughout Australia and their connections to land, sea and community. We pay our respect to their Elders past and present and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples today.
The Catholic Parish of St Kevin’s Eastwood is a welcoming and supportive community situated approximately 17 kilometres from the Sydney CBD, and 8 kilometres from Parramatta. St Kevin’s is the most western parish within the Archdiocese of Sydney and is part of the Ryde Deanery.
Our vision is to make Christ present in our parish, in our local community and in our world.
Our mission is to know Christ and to make him known; to be a community committed to discovering Christ present in every person through our ministry to each other, our service to the wider community, the joyful celebration of the Eucharist and other sacraments, and our active concern for social justice.
The first Church was established here in 1919 and our current Church was completed in 1994. St Kevin’s Primary School and Marist College Eastwood are both integral parts of our parish community and are located on either side of the Church.