NB: Catholic Parish of St Kevin’s NEW PO Box address: PO Box 437 West Ryde NSW 1685
Trinity Sunday, 3rd June, 5:30pm
Pentecost Sunday, 27th May, 5:30pm
A MESSSAGE FROM FR PAWEL:
My dear friends, greetings from my stay in Poland, where I am visiting my loved ones. I am
sorry that I cannot personally share with you the joyful news about the significant changes
that are taking place in our parish church. As you may notice, the tabernacle has been
moved to the sanctuary, under the cross, behind the altar. Of course, this change was
made with the advice and approval of the Sydney Archdiocese Liturgical Commission and
our Parish Pastoral Council, taking into consideration the views of other priests and
parishioners. This change is particularly important among other renovation works and
improvements that has been taking place in our church recently. Many other initiatives are
still ahead of us, but those related to the veneration of the Holy Eucharist are the most
essential in the life of every parish community. Let there be greater honour to Jesus who is
present in the Blessed Sacrament. I join you in prayer as I offer my devotions in the holy
places I have, and will be visiting. May God bless and keep us all in His Love and Peace!
JUNE 3 – FEAST DAY OF ST KEVIN
St Kevin lived a holy life devoted to teaching and learning. He spent many years as a ‘hermit’ and was revered for his great love of nature. St Kevin is one of the lesser known Irish saints. He died in 618 and received his canonization in 1903. Until his death, he presided over the monastery at Glendalough living a life of fasting, prayer and teaching. Glendalough, with its seven Churches, eventually became one of the major pilgrimage destinations in Ireland.
To celebrate the Feast Day of St Kevin, FOSK (Friends of St Kevin) will be serving a special morning tea in the parish hall on Sunday, June 4, after the 9:30am Mass. Please join us!
It would be great if you can bring a plate to share.
WALK WITH CHRIST 2023
Our Parish and School community of St Kevin’s Eastwood will be attending the Walk with Christ Eucharistic Procession in the city on Sunday 11 June 2023.
This event is celebrated annually on the Solemnity of Corpus Christi and is a beautiful public expression of our faith in the true presence of Christ, body, blood, soul and divinity in the Eucharist.
The event will start in the city with a Festival in Martin Place from 1pm followed by the Eucharistic procession from the corner of Martin place and Pitt Street starting at 2:30pm. We anticipate the procession to conclude by 4 – 5 pm at St Mary’s Cathedral forecourt. We will meet outside St Kevin’s church at 12pm and depending on the number of families participating we can arrange transport via a bus or catch the train as a group. You can also make your own way to Martin Place and meet up with the St Kevin’s group if preferred.
Please register your interest by Tuesday 6 June so that we can make a decision about transport. CLICK HERE to register. Further details will be emailed closer to the event.
Everyone is welcome and invited!
UPCOMING TRAININGS by the Catholic Archdiocese of Sydney Liturgy Office:
Venue: St Kevin’s Parish Hall. Copy of Baptism Certificate required. COST: FREE. To register go to: https://liturgy.sydneycatholic.org/ministry-training-formation/ For more information contact the parish office at 9874 2533.
- Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion (EMOHC), Wednesdays, July 19, 26 and Aug 2,
6pm-9pm All current EMOHC and Senior Altar Servers who haven’t done this course from
the Liturgy Office are strongly encouraged to participate. This course is a pre-requisite to
all Senior Altar Servers who wish to take the Acolytes course.
- Acolytes (Senior Altar Servers): Saturdays August 5, 12 and 19, 9am-12pm
- Readers: Saturdays October 7 and 14, 9am-12pm
Parish News, 2nd June 2023:
- May the Lord bless us all on the holy occasion of Trinity Sunday!
- JUNE 3 – FEAST DAY OF ST KEVIN. To celebrate the occasion, FOSK (Friends of St Kevin) will be serving a special morning tea in the parish hall on Sun, June 4, after the 9:30am Mass. Please join us! It would be great if you can bring a plate to share. ALL WELCOME!
- MONTHLY MEN’S PRAYER BREAKFAST: Gentlemen, you are warmly invited to attend the next monthly Men’s Prayer Breakfast to be held in the Haseler Centre (Parish Hall). The next gathering will be on Saturday 3rd June, 7am – 8:30am. Questions? Call 0400303733
- We will have First Saturday Mass and Devotion on 3rd June at 9am. All welcome.
- There will be Exposition and Benediction at the end of each Mass this weekend.
- ST VINCENT DE PAUL WINTER APPEAL will be happening on June 17/18. Help support families in need! Details on how to donate will be available next weekend.
- June 24 & 25 will be the last weekend for receipted Planned Giving Donation for 2022-2023 financial year. New set of planned giving envelopes will be issued soon.
- SAVE THE DATE: November 10-12, 2023 – Eastwood Community Camp. Book a campsite or a cabin. When booking, please advise that you are with the ‘Eastwood Community Group’ so that we are situated together. Book via DEL RIO RESORT 4566-4330 or visit: https://delrioresort.com.au/. For more info, contact the parish office. Grab a flyer from the church foyer! Don’t miss this social gathering with your friends and fellow parishioners!
- LITURGICAL ROSTERS WILL BE UPDATED SOON. Email the parish office for any changes.
- Next Baptism Info Evening: Tuesday, 6th June at 8pm in the Parish Office Meeting Room.
- GRAB A COPY OF THE CATHOLIC WEEKLY FOR ONLY $2! In this week’s edition: 92-year-old Cooma taser victim was devout Catholic. Read full article by Debbie Cramsie here.
- Men’s Weekly Prayer Group: Tuesdays at 7pm in the Holy Family Chapel. All welcome.
- Children’s Liturgy: Sundays at 9:30am. The Children’s Liturgy is run by parent volunteers during school term. If you wish to help contact the parish office. No experience necessary. Resources & support provided.
- St Kevin’s Playgroup, Wednesdays 9:30am-11:30am in the Haseler Centre (parish hall) during school term. All parents/carers and little ones are welcome to join in the fun! COST: $3 per session or $25 for the term. For more information contact the parish office.
- For parishioners who wish to participate in Holy Communion but prefer to receive low gluten communion hosts, please feel free to see Fr Pawel before Mass starts.
- Altar Flower Donors/Arrangers Needed: If you are interested to help with the altar flowers or donate flowers for weekend Masses, please contact the parish office 9874 2533.
- If you wish to offer a Mass for the sick, deceased, and other occasions, please collect an envelope in the church foyer. Place them in the weekend collection bags or in the secured parish letterbox inside the church (next to the Reconciliation room). Please include the date when you want the Mass to be said, the name of the person who you wish to pray for and tick the box ’For Publication’ if you wish for the name to be included in the parish bulletin.
- The parish office is open Monday to Friday from 10am-3pm. Alternatively, contact the parish office
Donate to the Charitable Works Fund Appeal
Help keep alive vital ministries of the Church in service to those who need it most. In
hospitals, churches, schools, communities and families, your donation is making our
world a loving, caring and compassionate place.
Give generously. Your tax-deductible gift changes lives. Thank you!
Donate at www.ourfaithourworks/give-to-cwf
Or complete a parish CWF envelope.
Around the Archdiocese:
Unlocking the Mystery of the Bible: Presented by Charbel Raish of Parousia Media, starting 7th May—25th June at Holy Spirit Catholic Church (Parish School Hall) 191, Cox’s Rd. North Ryde. This 8-week Bible study will commence after the Sunday 5pm Mass (6:15pm-7:45pm). See poster for details.
- Multicultural Mass Sunday Celebrated by Bishop Vincent Long, Sun 18th June, 2pm at St
Mary’s Cathedral: For the Parramatta Diocese and Sydney Archdiocese. Open invitation for
Migrant Chaplains of both Dioceses and people from all ethnic communities. For more info
contact Fr Roland Maurer EV or Kylie Cullen at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Caritas Australia Ukraine Appeal: The escalating violence in Ukraine is rapidly becoming a dire humanitarian crisis. As millions of people are likely to be displaced due to Russia’s invasion, your support is more important than ever for the people of Ukraine. Donate at https://www.caritas.org.au/donate/ukraine-appeal/ or call 1800 024 413 toll free.
Safeguarding and Child Protection
Guided by the policies of the Catholic Archdiocese of Sydney (CAS), it is mandatory for selected parish volunteers, age 18+, to have a current WWCC. To check the list of parish roles that requires WWCC visit https://www.stkevinseastwood.org.au/becoming-volunteer/ . To apply/renew your WWCC go to: https://ocg.nsw.gov.au/working-children-check/applicant . Once your application has been processed, please forward your WWCC number and Expiry Date to the parish office for verification.
Thank you to all the parish volunteers who have completed the Online Safeguarding Induction Training. To maintain our current safe working environment, it is required that all parish volunteers must complete Safeguarding Induction Training. Training can be completed online, to register click here. Alternatively, the parish is also offering face to face training. To register please call the parish office 9874 2533. To those who have completed the Safeguarding Induction Training in 2018/2019, you are now due for a refresher. To register for a Safeguarding Refresher Training, click here. The archdiocese requires safeguarding refresher training every 3 years.
A MESSAGE FROM THE ARCHDIOCESE OF SYDNEY:
Child sexual abuse is a crime. The appropriate people to deal with crimes are the police. If you or anyone you know have been abused, please contact the police. Alternatively, contact the Safeguarding and Ministerial Integrity Office at (02) 9390 5810 or email@example.com. You may also want to speak to your Parish Priest who will be able to provide support and guidance. The Archdiocese has a legal obligation to report crimes to the police.
SAFEGUARDING COMMITMENT STATEMENT: The Catholic Archdiocese of Sydney upholds the the dignity and rights of all children and is committed to ensuring their safety. We recognise each child as a gift from God. and we value and encourage participation of children in all activities that enhance their spiritual, physical, emotional, intellectual and social development. To access the Commitment Statement from Catholic Church Leaders, click here.
CATHOLIC ARCHDIOCESE OF SYDNEY CHILD PROTECTION POLICY
PROTOCOL FOR MANAGING SAFEGUARDING COMPLAINTS
SAFEGUARDING INFORMATION & RESOURCES FOR CHILDREN & YOUNG PEOPLE.
CLICK HERE TO PROVIDE FEEDBACK AND IDEAS ON SAFEGUARDING PRACTICE.
Welcome to St. Kevin’s Parish, Eastwood
In the spirit of reconciliation the Catholic Parish of St Kevin, Eastwood, acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of country throughout Australia and their connections to land, sea and community. We pay our respect to their Elders past and present and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples today.
The Catholic Parish of St Kevin’s Eastwood is a welcoming and supportive community situated approximately 17 kilometres from the Sydney CBD, and 8 kilometres from Parramatta. St Kevin’s is the most western parish within the Archdiocese of Sydney and is part of the Ryde Deanery.
Our vision is to make Christ present in our parish, in our local community and in our world.
Our mission is to know Christ and to make him known; to be a community committed to discovering Christ present in every person through our ministry to each other, our service to the wider community, the joyful celebration of the Eucharist and other sacraments, and our active concern for social justice.
The first Church was established here in 1919 and our current Church was completed in 1994. St Kevin’s Primary School and Marist College Eastwood are both integral parts of our parish community and are located on either side of the Church.