IMPORTANT UPDATE, 9th September 2021: The NSW government has announced a target for the easing of restrictions on churches for all of Greater Sydney, including the Blue Mountains and Wollongong regions.
Churches will be closed to the public until the Monday after NSW passes the 70 percent target of residents having had two doses of the COVID-19 vaccine.
Twenty-fifth Sunday in Ordinary Time: Vigil Mass will be livestreamed on Saturday, 18th September at 5:30pm
Permission to podcast/stream the music in this service obtained from ONE LICENSE, under License Number: A641847; and from CCLI, under License Number 642682 & 1625614. All rights reserved.
- The MenALIVE weekend previously scheduled on Oct 23 & 24, has been postponed to a date to be determined in 2022.
- Printed copies of the parish bulletin are now available outside the Church for anyone to take home or place inside letterboxes of parishioners you know, who are alone, elderly, and don’t have the means to watch our online Mass. Help them reconnect with our parish. If you are in an LGA of concern and wish to receive the parish bulletin, please contact the parish office. Leave a message at 9874 2533 or send an email: email@example.com.
- For pastoral care emergencies, please contact Fr Martin directly at 0414 841 928 to make COVID Safe arrangements.
- Prayer requests/Mass offerings for the deceased are still accepted. Send us an email or leave a message at 9874 2533. Donations can be made online via the parish website.
- The Eastwood Conference of St Vincent de Paul are looking for new members. If you are interested to join, please contact the parish office.
- CatholicCare NEWS: A community care worker has joined Holy Spirit Parish, North Ryde and St Charles Borromeo, Ryde. When times are tough it can be difficult to know where to turn to. Contact CatholicCare at 13 18 19 for free and confidential help and referral to a wide range of services concerning relationships, parenting, ageing, disability, addiction, and mental health.
- New Safeguarding Resources for Children & Young People are now available to download at: https://www.sydneycatholic.org/safeguarding-and-child-protection/
- Support The Catholic Weekly: Parishioners still wishing to receive a hard copy of The Catholic Weekly can take advantage of a special postal subscription offer during lockdown and receive 5 editions for $20. To order call Rita on 9390 5411 or Steve 0429 188 800. To subscribe online go to GIVE A GIFT: www.catholicweekly.com.au/product/are-you-a-new-subscriber/.
- Thank you to all the parishioners who are still able to support the parish financially. We are accepting donations by credit card through the parish website. Just click on the SUPPORT US button or copy this link: https://www.bpoint.com.au/payments/eastwoodparish on your browser. For Biller Code, you can choose from:
- Planned Giving/Envelopes (your Planned Giving Number is your Envelope Number)
- 2nd Collection/General Donation
- 1st Collection
- At the end of 2020-2021 financial year, Planned Giving contributors can request a tax receipt. Click here to request a tax receipt.
- New planned giving envelopes will be available for collection once lockdown ceases.
- The parish office is closed until further notice. Please send any enquiries by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a message at 9874 2533. Thank you.
A Message from Fr Martin Maunsell:
Dear St Kevin’s Eastwood Parishioners,
I hope everyone is keeping well despite the uncertainties.
2020 was a challenge for everyone yet we managed to get through. There is hope and we will get through this once again.
Sadly, churches around Greater Sydney are closed, but we must not forget that WE, as a parish community, is the CHURCH. As a family we can continue to practice our faith at home. We can stay connected with our faith in different ways.
I invite you to regularly visit our parish website for weekly Mass readings, reflections, livestreamed Vigil Mass, bulletins, prayers, and useful links. I hope these online resources will somehow reignite your faith, hope, and trust in Him.
My thoughts and prayers are with you all during this difficult time, especially to those families doing it tough and under a lot of financial stress, and to our vulnerable parishioners who are lonely and separated from their family.
May God bless you and keep you safe.
A Note of Appreciation from Fr Fabius:
Dear Friends: Fr Martin, St Kevin’s Parishioners, Eastwood Uniting Church Congregation, and other contributors,
My sincere heartfelt thanks to you all.
Using the words of Pope Francis: “…Charity should convey the warmth of an embrace of the Heavenly Father to people, especially the poor and marginalized. The world needs more people who contribute selflessly for human progress …” It is imperative, therefore, to express our gratitude; precisely affirming the words of Cicero: “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all others.”
Solely, through the sale proceeds of Fr Martin’s book, ‘Cuppa Time Reflections,’ sufficient funds were raised to complete the Pit Latrine (toilet block) Project at Pere Achte Primary School, Uganda.
Click HERE to view the photos and read Fr Fabius’ note of appreciation in full.
Around the Archdiocese:
- Archbishop Anthony Fisher OP is urging all Catholics to sign an e-petition to prevent the NSW parliament passing laws that sanction the killing of vulnerable human beings. There is never a good time to introduce laws such as this, but to do so in the middle of a pandemic and amidst lockdowns adversely affecting the lives and livelihoods of millions is unconscionable. To sign the petition, go to: www.noeuthanasia.org.au/protect_life_nsw. Parishioners are also encouraged to write to their local NSW MP, to express their opposition to the voluntary assisted dying bill, proposed by Independent MP Alex Greenwich. The anti-euthanasia coalition, HOPE has developed an online tool that will allow you to send an email directly to your state MP and to all members of the NSW Upper House. To access: https://www.noeuthanasia.org.au/petition_2108_ocp_nsw . If you do not wish to use this online tool, download sample letters here.
- St Vincent De Paul – Support for the Disadvantaged in Lockdown: St Vincent De Paul volunteers have recently distributed 900 snack packs, 250 self-care packs & 130 hampers through a range of services including Redfern Youth Connect, Parramatta Mission Meals Plus, and local support hubs. If you need help, call 13 18 12 or email email@example.com . Help is here for those who need it. For info, go to: www.vinnies.org.au/covidsupportnsw
- An Evening Retreat for married Couples: a marriage enrichment opportunity, couple’s prayer & reflection, and quiet time with Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament, closing with Benediction: 16th Sep, 8pm-9pm: https://www.facebook.com/LifeMarriageFamilySydney
- Women of all ages are invited to join the Dominican Sisters of St. Cecilia for an online retreat into silence, Sep 24-26. Mass, communal & private prayer, and talks that delve deeper into the theme of silence. To register go to: https://www.trybooking.com/BTYGD
- To help parishioners with any questions they may have around COVID-19 and its impact on sacraments such as weddings, baptisms and funerals, you may find the FAQs page on the Archdiocese of Sydney website helpful.
- The Archdiocese of Sydney website has a dedicated page of prayer resources including links to popular podcasts in this time of pandemic. Click here to view.
Archbishop’s Afghan Refugee Appeal:
Archbishop Anthony Fisher OP has launched the Afghan Refugee Appeal. The appeal will raise desperately needed funds and commit the Archdiocese resources of education, health and welfare to Afghan families and individuals fleeing their homeland in the wake of the Taliban takeover of Afghanistan. The UN and aid agencies are preparing for a Syria scale refugee crisis. The appeal means that those who find their way to Australia will have support and resources waiting for them. These dark times remind all of us that we really are our brother and our sisters’ keeper. We urge you to donate here. For further information go to: http://justiceandpeace.org.au/ Thank you on behalf of the Archbishop and those most vulnerable people for your support.
Online Holy Hour for the needs of Sydney Catholics, Thu 30th Sept 7pm-8:30pm:
The Parish Renewal Team in the Sydney Centre for Evangelisation is inviting Sydney Catholics to an online Holy Hour on the eve of the first Friday in honour of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Feast Day of St Therese, patron saint of missionaries. As we await the end of lockdown, let us unite ourselves with Christ and pray that many hearts will be open to his love. Registrations essential: www.gomakedisciples.org.au/cas-events .
Download the new Our Faith Our Works App:
The Catholic Archdiocese of Sydney invites you to download the Our Faith Our Works App on the App Store or Google Play. This is your one-stop location for Mass and Confession times, spiritual reflections and meditations, podcasts, local Catholic news, Go Make Disciples mission plan, and much more. This App features a PCI-compliant and secure donation gateway, enabling you to give to your local parish or our Archdiocesan ministries from the comfort of your living room. You can also visit: https://www.ourfaithourworks.org/app/ to download.
- Our Church is closed until further notice. We will continue to livestream our weekly Vigil Mass.
- Funerals may proceed at this time, with a maximum of ten members of the congregation, following a four square metre rule.
- Mandatory QR code check-ins and wearing of face masks in places of public worship, office premises/workplaces and indoor venues are now enforced. Children 12 years and under are exempt but are encouraged to wear masks where practicable.
- Click here to read guidelines when visiting our parish. Our COVID-19 Safety Plan can be accessed here.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION.
Welcome to St. Kevin’s Parish, Eastwood
The Catholic Parish of St Kevin’s Eastwood is a welcoming and supportive community situated approximately 17 kilometres from the Sydney CBD, and 8 kilometres from Parramatta. St Kevin’s is the most western parish within the Archdiocese of Sydney and is part of the Ryde Deanery.
Our vision is to make Christ present in our parish, in our local community and in our world.
Our mission is to know Christ and to make him known; to be a community committed to discovering Christ present in every person through our ministry to each other, our service to the wider community, the joyful celebration of the Eucharist and other sacraments, and our active concern for social justice.
The first Church was established here in 1919 and our current Church was completed in 1994. St Kevin’s Primary School and Marist College Eastwood are both integral parts of our parish community and are located on either side of the Church.