IMPORTANT UPDATE: From Friday, 24 July 2020, Church attendance numbers are limited to a maximum of 100 people subject to the one person per four square metre rule, with the exception of people from the same household. Our COVID-19 Safety Plan can be accessed here.
Nineteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time, 9th August 2020
Permission to podcast/stream the music in this service obtained from ONE LICENSE with license #A-641847. All rights reserved.
If you are in a position to continue supporting the parish, you would be most welcome to donate through our website. Just click on the SUPPORT US button or click on this link: https://www.bpoint.com.au/payments/eastwoodparish. Thank you.
At the end of Financial Year 2019-2020, Planned Giving Donation members can request a tax receipt.
Thought for the Week:
“God is the source of life. To set God aside is to separate ourselves from that source and, inevitably, to deprive ourselves of fulfillment and joy.” – Pope Benedict XVI
Parish Announcements, 9th Aug
- On Fri 14th Aug, we will have a Vigil Mass for the Feast of the Assumption Mary at 5pm. Feast of the Assumption Mass will be at 9am, Sat 15th Aug. This is a holy day of obligation yet those who are vulnerable and at high risk during this health pandemic are dispensed from attending.
- As the state government now recommends face masks are to be worn in places of worship where physical distancing is not possible, priests, senior servers and ministers will start wearing face masks prior to distributing Holy Communion. For parishioners attending, it is not mandatory to wear face masks but you are encouraged to do so if that makes you feel comfortable as an additional safeguard to help combat the spread of COVID-19.
- Please observe physical distancing at all times, guidelines when visiting the church are displayed in the foyer. Always follow the NSW Health advice & check the Latest COVID-19 case locations in NSW: https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/latest-news-and-updates. Thank you for your cooperation.
- Rosters are now available for collection at the back of the church or you can download here. Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion and Counters will be advised as needed. Junior servers are welcome to participate.
- Australian Catholic Bishops – Men’s Conference – 15th Aug 2020: All men are invited to attend a virtual conference organized by the Aust. Catholic Bishops, starting with Mass at 9am, St Kevin’s Church. The conference will then move to the Haseler Centre. Enquiries: Lou Youssef 0400 303 733. To register go to: www.sydneycatholic.org/mensgathering20
- St Kevin’s Men’s Choir: The next men’s choir practice is scheduled on Sunday, 16th Aug at 5pm in the Haseler Centre. All men welcomed, whether you think you can sing or not! For enquiries contact Francis David 0421 511 987.
- Wednesday Night Prayer Hour: Every 2nd Wednesday in the St Kevin’s Church Holy Family Chapel – starting at 7pm. Great opportunity to reflect on the Gospels, pray & build friendships. Opened to all men. Next gathering will be on the 19th of August.
- VOLUNTEER/s NEEDED: We are looking for tech savvy parishioner/s who have spare time on a Saturday evening to video-record our Vigil Mass in case our current videographer is unavailable. We would appreciate if you have video recording equipment, only until the parish can source its own. For more info on what’s involved contact Errol Urban 0416 336 034
- HELP KEEP OUR CHURCH COVID-SAFE. We need at least 4 volunteers to help wipe the pews after each Mass. Many hands make light work. Cleaning supplies are provided.
- We are open for weekday and weekend Masses at usual times. Private prayer will continue, Mon-Fri, 8am-9am. Please observe the guidelines that we have put in place when attending:
- Physical distancing of at least 1.5m at all times especially when queueing to register or to receive the Holy Communion.
- Parishioners in the high risk categories or who are unwell must stay home.
- Contact details of all those entering the church (name, phone number and email address of one adult per household) must be recorded in case contact tracing is required and also for provision of pastoral care.
- We ask that you sanitise your hands when entering the Church.
- Attendees may sit only in marked places. Family members living in the same household may sit together.
- There will be no hand-to-hand passing of parish bulletins or collection plates.
- Considering the possible risk of aerosol transmission, congregational singing is suspended until further notice. Music sheets should not be distributed to parishioners or projected on a screen. Only the cantor/choir can sing, with at least 3 metre distance from the congregation.
- The sign of peace should be without any physical contact.
- Priests, senior servers and ministers are to wear face masks prior to distributing Holy Communion. Holy Communion shall be distributed and received on the hand only.
- Attendees must observe good hygiene practices when coughing or sneezing.
- Celebrants and attendees should minimize the time they are gathered together. We discourage long chats outside the Church after Mass. Maintain spatial distancing inside and outside the Church.
- For private prayer, please sit in the padded seating area near the Blessed Sacrament.
- The parish office is on reduced hours. The best way to contact us is by email: firstname.lastname@example.org . You can also leave a short message at 9874 2533 and we will return your call.
- For urgent matters such as booking Funerals please contact Fr Martin at 0414 841 928. For physical documents please send it to: PO BOX 234, Eastwood NSW 2122 or place it in the parish office mailbox, right next to the parish hall, 36 Hillview Rd. Eastwood NSW.
- Thank you to all the parishioners who are still able to support the parish financially. We are accepting donations by credit card through the parish website. Just click on the SUPPORT US button or copy this link: https://www.bpoint.com.au/payments/eastwoodparish on your browser. For Biller Code, you can choose from:
- Planned Giving/Envelopes (your Planned Giving Number is your Envelope Number)
- 2nd Collection/General Donation
- 1st Collection
- If you would like to have someone visit you at home to receive Holy Communion, please fill out this home visitation form. Also, if you are a Minister of Holy Communion and would like to volunteer in visiting homes to distribute communion, please fill out this ministerial form.
- We are still recording the Vigil Mass. It will be available for viewing in our website, YouTube channel and Facebook page every Sunday at 7.30am. We thank all those who are involved in the production of our weekly recordings.
Contactless Donation: To provide another way to support the parish financially, we have installed a new contactless donation device in the Church foyer. Simply tap your Visa, MasterCard or compatible device and $5 will be donated to our parish. This will be considered as a general donation. There is no tax deductibility, receipt or refund available on this donation.
Family and Faith
Alison Khalil, our Parish School Family Educator, has kindly shared her online noticeboard full of resources for families in the school and parish community. Click here or click on the image to visit her page.
Around the Archdiocese
The ACBC National Catholic Men’s Gathering for 2020 is now being offered online for registered participants. The program aims to inspire & encourage all Catholic men with a vision for personal discipleship, service and mission in the family, parish, diocese & the world. Participate individually or gather with others from your parish. Cost: FREE. Event Program available from Aug 15. Register now at www.sydneycatholic.org/mensgathering20
Archdiocese of Sydney ‘Of Life & Love’ Marriage Preparation Course: Session dates for final 2020 course: Oct 17, 22, 29 and Nov 5 To Book Online Visit: www.trybooking.com/BGRCR
Cost: $310 per couple. Please note that this course consists of 4 sessions and where engaged couples must attend all sessions to gain completion certificate. For further information, please contact: The Life, Family and Outreach team on (02) 9307 8480 or e-mail email@example.com
- To read the Archbishop’s latest Pastoral letter, click here . For other prayers, spiritual resources, and a list of Mass on demand around the archdiocese, visit: https://www.sydneycatholic.org/coronavirus-updates/
- To help parishioners with any questions they may have around COVID-19 and its impact on sacraments such as weddings, baptisms and funerals, you may find the FAQs page on the Archdiocese of Sydney website helpful.
- A message from the Archdiocese of Sydney: Child sexual abuse is a crime. The appropriate people to deal with crimes are the police. If you or anyone you know have been abused, please contact the police. Alternatively, you can contact the Safeguarding and Ministerial Integrity Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (02) 9390 5810. You may also want to speak to your Parish Priest who will be able to provide support and guidance. The Archdiocese has a legal obligation to report crimes to the police.
- Parent Line: Many families are in the midst of or are facing serious challenges in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic and need extra support but don’t know where to start. Call Parent Line on 1300 1300 52, available 7 days a week.
Welcome to St. Kevin’s Parish, Eastwood
The Catholic Parish of St Kevin’s Eastwood is a welcoming and supportive community situated approximately 17 kilometres from the Sydney CBD, and 8 kilometres from Parramatta. St Kevin’s is the most western parish within the Archdiocese of Sydney and is part of the Ryde Deanery.
Our vision is to make Christ present in our parish, in our local community and in our world.
Our mission is to know Christ and to make him known; to be a community committed to discovering Christ present in every person through our ministry to each other, our service to the wider community, the joyful celebration of the Eucharist and other sacraments, and our active concern for social justice.
The first Church was established here in 1919 and our current Church was completed in 1994. St Kevin’s Primary School and Marist College Eastwood are both integral parts of our parish community and are located on either side of the Church.