Second Sunday of Advent, livestreamed Vigil Mass this Sat 3rd Dec at 5:30pm
Parish News, 1st December 2022:
St Vincent De Paul Christmas Appeal, Dec 3 & 4:
In Eastwood our Vinnies team offers direct assistance to families and individuals.
Over the last few months we have supplied fridges, washing machines, beds and furniture and clothing. We’ve helped with rent, moving expenses and medical bills as well as food hampers and countless food vouchers. As the cost of living rises so do the calls for assistance
This weekend we ask for your support. There will be donation envelopes on church pews, tick the box if you need a receipt. There are also buckets for donations at the door or donate online here.
There will be Christmas Cards ($6/pack) and Columban Calendars ($10ea) on sale in the church foyer. All proceeds go to Vinnies. Drop your payments in the Vinnies buckets. Thank you for your continuing support!
- On Thursday, 8th December, Feast of the Immaculate Conception, Parish Mass will be at 7:30am, St Kevin’s School Mass will be at 9:15am.
- Parish Working Bee: The Church Grounds are in urgent need of weeding and TLC. Please come along on Sat 10th Dec from 8am. BYO garden tools & gloves. Inquiries 0400 303 733.
- To help us prepare & reflect on the scriptures this Season of Advent, parishioners are invited to join our Advent Reflection Group to be led by Fr Pawel, Thursdays at 6:30pm in the Church. ALL WELCOME. We will use the Advent Companion 2022 provided by the Archdiocese of Sydney, contains Gospel readings & spiritual reflections. Limited copies available in the Church foyer. Free to download at www.gomakedisciples.org.au.
- CASTING CALL: If your child is interested in taking part of the Nativity Play at the 5:30pm Christmas Eve Mass, contact the parish office. Grab a flyer in the church foyer for details!
- Rosters needed for our Christmas Liturgies. If you are available to serve, please put your name down in the sacristy. Break Open the Word books for rostered Readers are now ready for collection from the table near the sacristy. Collect 1 book per family of readers.
- St Kevin’s Men’s Choir will be singing at the 5:30pm Christmas Eve Mass on Dec 24.
- St Kevin’s Men’s Choir will be singing at St Mary’s Cathedral Christmas Festivities! Allocated time: Wed 21st Dec, 8pm – 8:30pm. Come, watch & support our Men’s Choir!! Light show of Christmas Art starts at 8:30pm.
- Last Baptism Info Evening for 2022 will be on Tues, 6th Dec at 8pm (new time) in the Parish Office Meeting Room. Contact 98742533 to register. No baptism info evening on Jan 2023
- AV PROJECTIONIST NEEDED for Sat VIGIL at 5:30pm & Sun 6pm Mass: If interested, please contact the parish office at 9874 2533. Training will be provided.
- For parishioners who wish to participate in Holy Communion but prefer to receive low gluten communion hosts, please feel free to see Fr Pawel before Mass starts.
- Altar Flower Donors/Arrangers Needed: If you are interested to help with the altar flowers or donate flowers for weekend Masses, please contact the parish office 9874 2533.
- If you wish to offer a Mass for the sick, deceased, and other occasions, please collect an envelope in the church foyer. Place them in the weekend collection bags or in the secured parish letterbox inside the church (next to the Reconciliation room). Please include the date when you want the Mass to be said, the name of the person who you wish to pray for and tick the box ’For Publication’ if you wish for the name to be included in the parish bulletin.
- Thank you to all the parishioners who are still able to support the parish financially. We are accepting donations by credit card through the parish website. Just click on the SUPPORT US button or copy this link: https://www.bpoint.com.au/payments/eastwoodparish on your browser. For Biller Code, you can choose from:
- Planned Giving/Envelopes (your Planned Giving Number is your Envelope Number)
- 2nd Collection/General Donation
- 1st Collection
- The parish office is open Monday to Friday from 10am-3pm. Alternatively, you can send us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org
ADVENT APPEAL FOR UKRAINE, December 10 & 11:
The Australian Catholic Bishops Conference is supporting a special Advent appeal for the people of Ukraine, following a request from Bishop Mykola Bychok CSsR, Eparch of Sts Peter and Paul for the Ukrainian Catholic Church in Australia. Collections in dioceses, eparchies and parishes on the Second and/or Third Sunday of Advent will support Mudra Sprava (Wise Action), a Patriarchal Charitable Foundation in Ukraine. The organisation has three focus areas: Evacuation of people from frontline territories; Food packages for people in need; Shelters for internally displaced persons. Find out more at: www.catholic.au
STAY AWAKE! Prepare for the Coming of Christ ADVENT COMPANION 2022:
The beautiful Season of Advent is approaching. This free Advent Companion contains Gospel readings for the Sundays of Advent and Christmas, and spiritual reflections by Bishop Danny Meagher, Mrs Tania Rimac, Sr Mary Julian Ekman RSM, Dr Michael Casey and Fr Benjamin Saliba. Designed for individual or group prayer, either in-person or online. Limited copies in the church foyer. Available to download at www.gomakedisciples.org.au.
To help us prepare & reflect on the scriptures this Season of Advent, parishioners are invited to join our Advent Reflection Group led by Fr Pawel, Thursdays at 6:30pm in the Church.
Christmas at the Cathedral:
December 8-25 St Mary’s Cathedral Forecourt. Festivities begin at 7pm with Christmas market stalls, food, fun activities for the kids and live entertainment.
St Kevin’s Men’s Choir will be singing at St Mary’s Cathedral Christmas Festivities! Allocated time: Wed 21st Dec, 8pm – 8:30pm. Come, watch & support our Men’s Choir!! Bring the whole family! Light show of Christmas Art starts at 8:30pm.
iWitness Conference 2022: Trust in the Lord with all your heart
iWitness is an incredible Catholic conference which has been changing the lives of young adult Catholics in Sydney (18-35 years old) since it was started in 2008. iWitness is an incredible place to make Catholic friends from all over Sydney, go deeper in one’s faith and have a great time doing so.
iWitness Conference 2022 is happening on Thursday 15th December 2022 – Sunday 18th December 2022 at The Tops Conference Centre, Stanwell Tops.
For more information visit: https://www.iwitnessconference.com
Around the Archdiocese:
- Mass for Expectant Mothers and those hoping to conceive: Sun 11th Dec at 10am, St Paul of the Cross Church, 522 New Canterbury Rd, Dulwich Hill, presided by Bishop Daniel Meagher. Light refreshments provided. RSVP by Nov 27 www.trybooking.com/CDILN
- Caritas Australia Ukraine Appeal: The escalating violence in Ukraine is rapidly becoming a dire humanitarian crisis. As millions of people are likely to be displaced due to Russia’s invasion, your support is more important than ever for the people of Ukraine. Donate at https://www.caritas.org.au/donate/ukraine-appeal/ or call 1800 024 413 toll free.
- World Youth Day Lisbon 2023! Join us for an adventure of a lifetime! To register your interest visit: https://www.sydneycatholicyouth.org/world-youth-day/
Safeguarding and Child Protection
Guided by the policies of the Catholic Archdiocese of Sydney (CAS), it is mandatory for selected parish volunteers, age 18+, to have a current WWCC. To check the list of parish roles that requires WWCC visit https://www.stkevinseastwood.org.au/becoming-volunteer/ . To apply/renew your WWCC go to: https://ocg.nsw.gov.au/working-children-check/applicant . Once your application has been processed, please forward your WWCC number and Expiry Date to the parish office for verification.
Thank you to all the parish volunteers who have completed the Online Safeguarding Induction Training. To maintain our current safe working environment, it is required that all parish volunteers must complete Safeguarding Induction Training. Training can be completed online, to register click here. Alternatively, the parish is also offering face to face training. To register please call the parish office 9874 2533. To those who have completed the Safeguarding Induction Training in 2018/2019, you are now due for a refresher. To register for a Safeguarding Refresher Training, click here. The archdiocese requires safeguarding refresher training every 3 years.
A MESSAGE FROM THE ARCHDIOCESE OF SYDNEY:
Child sexual abuse is a crime. The appropriate people to deal with crimes are the police. If you or anyone you know have been abused, please contact the police. Alternatively, contact the Safeguarding and Ministerial Integrity Office at (02) 9390 5810 or email@example.com. You may also want to speak to your Parish Priest who will be able to provide support and guidance. The Archdiocese has a legal obligation to report crimes to the police.
SAFEGUARDING COMMITMENT STATEMENT: The Catholic Archdiocese of Sydney upholds the the dignity and rights of all children and is committed to ensuring their safety. We recognise each child as a gift from God. and we value and encourage participation of children in all activities that enhance their spiritual, physical, emotional, intellectual and social development. To access the Commitment Statement from Catholic Church Leaders, click here.
CLICK HERE TO PROVIDE FEEDBACK AND IDEAS ON SAFEGUARDING PRACTICE.
Welcome to St. Kevin’s Parish, Eastwood
In the spirit of reconciliation the Catholic Parish of St Kevin, Eastwood, acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of country throughout Australia and their connections to land, sea and community. We pay our respect to their Elders past and present and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples today.
The Catholic Parish of St Kevin’s Eastwood is a welcoming and supportive community situated approximately 17 kilometres from the Sydney CBD, and 8 kilometres from Parramatta. St Kevin’s is the most western parish within the Archdiocese of Sydney and is part of the Ryde Deanery.
Our vision is to make Christ present in our parish, in our local community and in our world.
Our mission is to know Christ and to make him known; to be a community committed to discovering Christ present in every person through our ministry to each other, our service to the wider community, the joyful celebration of the Eucharist and other sacraments, and our active concern for social justice.
The first Church was established here in 1919 and our current Church was completed in 1994. St Kevin’s Primary School and Marist College Eastwood are both integral parts of our parish community and are located on either side of the Church.